Tuesday, August 27, 2013

ROLL AWAY THE PORK BARREL, GRUNT NO MORE

I joined the Ilocos Pork O'clock Walk last August 27 at Laoag City's Aurora Park.  The crowd was not as big as the crowd in Manila and other parts of the Philippines but the voices and sentiments about the pork barrel scam were equally resounding.

I grew up hearing and reading about national leaders who have enriched themselves through thievery, dipping their sticky fingers into the national coffers and stashing millions of money in banks abroad. Such shameless accumulation of wealth from people's hard-earned money. These officials and their cohorts have multi-million mansions, a row of expensive vehicles, innumerable vaults of cash and jewelry, properties hidden under fictitious names or fronts.  The list is endless for these insatiable pigs.  I thought such despicable acts ended in the mid 80's but hey, we have more pigs grunting in this country.  What do they want to do with the Philippines, turn it into a pigsty?

 At the Walk,I wondered if there would be young Ilocanos as idealistic as my generation.  Well, there were some, and the sight of them holding placards and streamers denouncing the misuse of the pork barrel fund brought a dose of hope that things would be better soon. I know these kids (a few of them were my students, now in college) need to be more vigilant as we were (and still are).  

I was pleased to see those who have seen other struggles like me. My friends from the media, doctors, former political prisoners, social activists, educators, housewives, religious leaders.

After the nationwide outpouring of rage against the pork scam, investigation should not stop at the year 2009 but it should move on until 2012.  Succeeding years call for a more transparent government to weed out corruption. No biases. 

When I see infrastructure projects going on, I initially see them as signs of progress...but they can reek of the revolting smell of corruption.

At the Ilocos Pork O'clock Walk, I just had one line to say: "Let those pigs fry in their own stinky fat!"

Grunt no more.


copyright © Ritchelle Blanco Dejolde 2013 







pictures by SkyBlue copyright © Ritchelle Blanco Dejolde 2013

No comments: