Sunday, May 11, 2014

I am Not A Mother But I Have The Hand That Rocks Cradles

It's Mother's Day! I have uploaded a mosaic of my Mom's pics to show on Facebook how I love and appreciate her.  I've,likewise, greeted my mother-in-law, my kin, friends and whoever flashes the flag that shouts "MOM".  That leaves me a little bit on the wayside because I don't have a child, I have not experienced any birth pang.  Oh how I wish I would have had those crazy cravings,too, in the middle of the night which would have driven my sweet Anthony running to the store in his pajamas just to please the infanticipating me.  But, God did not design my life that way and I am not complaining.

I am not a mother but sometimes, I believe I,too, can give as much love, if not more, to children.  I have rocked cradles of kids without their biological mothers...at school, in my family and in the community.

I have taken kids to their first visit to the dentist, their first day in school, their first walk on the seashore, their first feel of a nursery book, their weekend treats at Jollibee or McDonalds.  I have watched kids say their short prayers, sing their songs, recite their poems.  I have lent an ear to their dreams and their frustrations. I laughed with their funny jokes, got stunned with their awesome discoveries, jumped with them in victory.  I helped them speak,write, read, act and discover more in life. I listened to their tales, ribbed them about their crushes, shed tears on their wedding days, celebrated their birthdays.  I've stopped them from wallowing in self-pity, barred them from vices and self-destruction.  I tried my best to see their self-worth and to know that they are special.  What tops all of these is that I have tried my best to guide them in their moral and spiritual growth.

I think "MOTHER" is just a noun for some.  To me, "MOTHER" is an action word, it is a verb.  I will continue to rock cradles which others dare not touch.

copyright © Ritchelle Blanco Dejolde2014
                                              

No comments: